des Quinze-vingts 1 2
66, avenue Ledru Rollin, 75012 Paris
Orgue de tribune
1909 - Gutschenritter
1956 - Pierre Cheron et Philippe Hartmann
1982 - Barbéris
1992/2004 - Fossaert
Photos of the organ: Victor Weller
Masses with organ
Saturday 6h30 p.m., Sunday 10h45 a.m., 7h00
Originally, the great organ of the Saint-Antoine des
Quinze-Vingts was built by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll in 1894
for the private house of the Baron de l’Espée in Paris.
This organ was transferred to the new Church of Saint-
Antoine by Gutschenritter in 1909. He added a 16’
Bombarde and a Nasard to the GO, a Fourniture and a
16’ Basson to the Swell and a 32’ Bourdon to the Pedal.
The 16’ and 8’ Bassons of the pedal were replaced by a
16’ Bombarde and an 8’ Trompette. The pressures were
probably increased. Later, he may have increased the
range of the Pedal to 32 notes, replaced the Nasard of
the GO by a Doublette and separeted the ranks of the
Carillon of the Positif.
In 1956, Pierre Chéron and Philippe Hartmann worked on
the organ and added a 4' Clarion to pedal.
In 1982, Jacques Barbéris, assisted by Marc Hédelin and
Philippe Mattéi, accomplished a comprehensive
restoration, restoring the Barker-lever machine and the
conveyancing of the basses.
In 1992-1992 Yves Fossaert cleaned and repaired the
organ. In 2004, more extensive restoration works wer
performed by Fossaert, who replaced the Clairon 4’ of
1956 for a new one.
Before the French Revolution, the territory
corresponding to the 12th arrondissement belonged to
the parish of Saint Paul and then to the sainte-
Marguerite estate. But two establishments had the
privilege of exercising the "cure of soul": the abbey of
Cistercian nuns of Saint-Antoine des Champs and the
hospice of the Quinze-Vingts, the foundation of St.
The abbey was abolished in 1790 and the monastery
assigned to St. Anthony's Hospital in 1795. The new
parish of Saint-Antoine des Quinze-Vingts was created
on 4 February 1791 and received the abbey as a place of
worship. It was sold as a national property in 1798 and
then destroyed. The chapel of the Quinze-Vingts
hospice served as a parish church for a century, until
the construction of the present church, which was
completed in 1903 and dedicated to Saint Anthony the
Great on November 11, 1909.