The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0  © 2018 Vincent Hildebrandt                  HOME                                   S-Z           

Saint Bernard

de la chapelle

11, rue Affre,  75018 Paris Orgue de tribune 1862 - Cavaillé-Coll

195x - Gutschenritter

1981 - Barbéris

2003 - Bernard Cogez

2007 - Bernard Dargassies

II/25 - mechanical traction - stoplist

Orgue de choeur

1862 - Cavaillé-Coll

1902 - Mutin

1950 - ???

2018 - Fossaert

II/10 - electrical traction - stoplist

photo GO: Jeroen de Haan
 Organiste titulaire Camille Déruelle Famous organists in the past: Alexis Chauvet, André Fleury, Marie-Madeleine Chevalier Concerts  Regularly Masses with organ Saturday 6.30 p.m., Sunday 11a.m. Videos Camille Déruelle
The great organ of St. Bernard of the chapel and the choir organ were commissioned by the prestigious factor Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. Inaugurated in January 1863, this instrument belongs to a series of instruments (late 1850 and early 1860), with the Grand Orgue of Sainte-Clotilde in Paris (inaugurated in 1859), the Grand Orgue of Saint-Sulpice in Paris (inaugurated in 1862) and the Grand Orgue of Notre Dame de Paris (inaugurated in 1868). They are quite similar from a technical and stylistic point of view, even though the scales (number of stops, size of instruments...) and especially the size and importance of the churches is not at all the same. Unlike the others, however, the St. Bernard organ has never been modernized or restored in depth. After 1966, the date of death of the last organiste titulaire and its regular use, the instrument had only minimal maintenance. It is in a fairly average state, but has a very rare degree of authenticity. The only significant changes it has undergone since its construction are the 15 bass pipes of the 4 ' octave of the GO and the lowest octave of the bombarde of the GO, which originally sounded in eight feet at the grand-organ keyboard . It received only one maintenance in the years 1930. The great organ of Saint-Bernard-de-la-Chapelle is one of the flagships of French organ heritage. Its solidity and stability, foolproof, straight from the know-how of its builder, retain a great sound quality. And it is one of the last direct testimonies of the technique and the mastery of Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. Source : internet site Grand Orgue de Saint-Bernard-de-la- Chapelle
The construction of St-Bernard-de-la-Chapelle started in 1858, just before the annexation of the commune of La Chapelle by Paris in 1860. The church is designed by the architect Auguste-Joseph Magne, in a Gothic style with an initially flat façade but which was supplemented by a porch offered by the municipality of Paris during the integration of the commune of La Chapelle in the capital. This facade presents a porch, in flamboyant style, enhanced with bows in brace and supported by buttresses. A steeple with an arrow of 60 meters dominates the church. It was consecrated in 1861.
The organs of Paris

Saint Bernard

de la chapelle

11, rue Affre,  75018 Paris Orgue de tribune 1862 - Cavaillé-Coll

195x - Gutschenritter

1981 - Barbéris

2003 - Bernard Cogez

2007 - Bernard Dargassies

II/25 - mechanical traction - stoplist

Orgue de choeur

1862 - Cavaillé-Coll

1902 - Mutin

1950 - ???

2018 - Fossaert

II/10 - electrical traction - stoplist

photo GO: Jeroen de Haan
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt     HOME       S-Z
The construction of St-Bernard-de-la-Chapelle started in 1858, just before the annexation of the commune of La Chapelle by Paris in 1860. The church is designed by the architect Auguste-Joseph Magne, in a Gothic style with an initially flat façade but which was supplemented by a porch offered by the municipality of Paris during the integration of the commune of La Chapelle in the capital. This facade presents a porch, in flamboyant style, enhanced with bows in brace and supported by buttresses. A steeple with an arrow of 60 meters dominates the church. It was consecrated in 1861.
The great organ of St. Bernard of the chapel and the choir organ were commissioned by the prestigious factor Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. Inaugurated in January 1863, this instrument belongs to a series of instruments (late 1850 and early 1860), with the Grand Orgue of Sainte-Clotilde in Paris (inaugurated in 1859), the Grand Orgue of Saint-Sulpice in Paris (inaugurated in 1862) and the Grand Orgue of Notre Dame de Paris (inaugurated in 1868). They are quite similar from a technical and stylistic point of view, even though the scales (number of stops, size of instruments...) and especially the size and importance of the churches is not at all the same. Unlike the others, however, the St. Bernard organ has never been modernized or restored in depth. After 1966, the date of death of the last organiste titulaire and its regular use, the instrument had only minimal maintenance. It is in a fairly average state, but has a very rare degree of authenticity. The only significant changes it has undergone since its construction are the 15 bass pipes of the 4 ' octave of the GO and the lowest octave of the bombarde of the GO, which originally sounded in eight feet at the grand-organ keyboard . It received only one maintenance in the years 1930. The great organ of Saint-Bernard-de-la-Chapelle is one of the flagships of French organ heritage. Its solidity and stability, foolproof, straight from the know-how of its builder, retain a great sound quality. And it is one of the last direct testimonies of the technique and the mastery of Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. Source : internet site Grand Orgue de Saint-Bernard-de-la- Chapelle
Organiste titulaire Camille Déruelle Famous organists in the past: Alexis Chauvet, André Fleury, Marie-Madeleine Chevalier Concerts  Regularly Masses with organ Saturday 6.30 p.m., Sunday 11a.m. Videos Camille Déruelle