The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © 2021 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME ALL ORGANS

Saint Joseph

des carmes

70, rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris

1902 - Didier

1950 - Gonzalez

1971 - Beuchet

1993 - Dargassies

II/25 - mechanical traction - stoplist

In 1610, Pope Paul V asked the King of France to welcome clerics of the Order of the Carmes who had been removed from Paris. Installed temporarily thanks to the liberalities of Nicolas Vivien as early as 1611, the carmes had a church erected on a large plot of land on the edge of the Rue de Vaugirard. On July 20, 1613, the first stone was laid on the feast day of the holy prophet Elijah by Queen Regent Marie di Medicis. Construction was completed in 1620 and the church was consecrated in 1625. It was then the first church dedicated to St. Joseph in Paris. The church survived the Revolution, and became from 1849 to 1867 a convent of Dominican brothers. Since the 20th century, the chapel is both the chapel of the Catholic Institute of Paris, that of the seminary of the Carmes and a district chapel dependent on the parish of Saint-Sulpice, served by a rector. The classical style church has a beautiful dome as well as many works of art.
Organiste titulaire Nicolas Trotin Famous organists in the past: Edouard Souberbielle Concerts Seldom

Masses with organ

Saturday 6:15 PM; Sunday 11:00 AM Videos Nicolas Trotin
The organ, located on a magnificent 18th century tribune, was built by Didier from Epinal in 1902. The buffet was carved by the famous nancean cabinetmaker Vallin. It was inaugurated by E. Gigout on December 10, 1902. The mechanics were designed by Schaeffer, former mechanic of Cavaillé-Coll, while the harmony was entrusted to Fernand Prince, former harmonist of Cavaillé-Coll. Around 1950, Gonzalez added a pneumatic call system for the stops and made an overhaul. In 1971, Beuchet did work on mechanics, the console and modified a few stops towards a neo-classical aesthetic.
The organs of Paris

Saint Joseph

des carmes

70, rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris

1902 - Didier

1950 - Gonzalez

1971 - Beuchet

1993 - Dargassies

II/25 - mechanical traction - stoplist

ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
Organiste titulaire Nicolas Trotin Famous organists in the past: Edouard Souberbielle Concerts Seldom

Masses with organ

Saturday 6:15 PM; Sunday 11:00 AM Videos Nicolas Trotin
The organ, located on a magnificent 18th century tribune, was built by Didier from Epinal in 1902. The buffet was carved by the famous nancean cabinetmaker Vallin. It was inaugurated by E. Gigout on December 10, 1902. The mechanics were designed by Schaeffer, former mechanic of Cavaillé-Coll, while the harmony was entrusted to Fernand Prince, former harmonist of Cavaillé-Coll. Around 1950, Gonzalez added a pneumatic call system for the stops and made an overhaul. In 1971, Beuchet did work on mechanics, the console and modified a few stops towards a neo-classical aesthetic.