ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt HOME S-Z
This organ is the former choir organ of Merklin of the Sainte
Clotilde Basilica. It was dismantled in 1935 and in 1937
enlarged and installed by the house Cavaillé-Coll for the
Parisian living room of the Marquis de Froissart. He was a
big shareholder and financial of the house Cavaillé-Coll. The
Swell became Positif expressive and a great symphonic
Swell was added. A big three-keyboard-console replaced
that of Merklin.
To realize this enlargement, the organ of Azans was used.
This organ had been bought in 1923 by Marquis de
Froissard from the catalogue of Mutin (2-keyboard organ,
incorporating parts of a 17th century organ case) for the
church of Azans.
In 1948, this organ was given to the parish Saint Léon in
Paris XV. It was put together by Jules Isambart. The keyboard
of grand-organ lost its expression. On this
same keyboard, a new Salicional replaced the Clarinet, that
was transferred to the Positif, replacing the Voix Humaine.
This last stop was not reinstalled.
Since then, Dargassies has restored this instrument. A new
electro-pneumatic traction was installed and the
transmissions as well as the stop traction were
renewed. The composition has been preserved, only the
Swell was reinforced and the foundation stops were made
(source: Bernard Dargassies, 2018, Victor Weller, 2019)