de Paul 1 2
Place Frantz-Liszt, 75010 Paris
Orgue de tribune
1852 - Cavaillé-Coll
1970 - Gonzalez
2010 - Dargassies
Photos of the organ: Jeroen de Haan
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, after submitting two proposals, was
responsible for the construction of the great organ, which
was inaugurated on 26 January 1852 by the titulaire Peters
Cavallo and the organist Louis-James-Alfred Lefébure-Wély.
It was on this instrument that Jacques-Nicolas Lemmens
was heard several times during the month of February 1852
in front of an elite audience, marvelling at the perfection of
his technique as well as by the grandeur and severity of his
Cavaillé-Coll applied many innovative ideas of organ-
making, including the principle of piston springs, developed
by Eberhard-Friedrich Walcker of Ludwigsburg around 1845,
and the use of glass for the walls of the expressive box.
The buffet, designed by the architect of the church, Jacques-
Ignace Hittorff, and executed by Napoleon Liénard for
sculpture and by Poncet for carpentry, presents an original
layout with its two separate bodies to show the rosette
pierced in the axis of the façade.
In 1859 Cavaillé-Coll made an overhaul and took the
opportunity to move the console to a side stand (it was
previously on the grandstand).
Subsequently, work was carried out by Mutin (circa 1927).
In 1961, the factor Jean Hermann was responsible for
electrifying the instrument and enlarging the instrument,
but the builder died during the work and it was Gonzalez
who completed the instrument. Fortunately, it was decided
to forego the addition of neo-baroque stops and a 4th
Gonzalez returned in 1979 to clean the instrument following
a fire in the building in 1972.
Currently, 49 out of 66 stops are still of Cavaillé-Coll, which
are very little retouched.
Famous organists in the past: G. Lemmens, Léon
Boellmann, Louis Braille, Jean Costa
Masses with organ
Saturday 6:30 PM,
Sunday 10:30 AM and 6:30 PM