ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
In neo-renaissance style, the building of St Francis
Xavier begun in 1861 under the direction of the
architect Adrien Lusson, the work continued until
1874 with Joseph Uchard who took over the project.
The church of St. Francis Xavier was consecrated on
May 23, 1894. It’s one of the richest parishes in Paris,
has a significant amount of works of art, including a
collection of ancient paintings by Tintoretto at the
Sacristy of Marriages.
Denis Comtet & Eric Leroy
Famous organists in the past:
Albert Renaud, Adolphe Marty and Gaston Litaize.
Masses with organ
Saturday 6.30 p.m.
Sunday 10.15 a.m., 11.30 a.m., 17 p.m.
The grand organ was built by Joseph Arnaud Fermis in
1878. He used the new pneumatic tubular traction
developed in 1866. In 1880, an overhaul was carried out
by the house Cavaillé-Coll. In 1923, following the failure
of the traction, the factors Ephrem and Gonzalez rebuilt
the instrument. The work consisted of revising the
harmonization, replacing the pneumatic system for
drawing the stops , redisposing the combination pedals
and adding an expressive box to the positive. At that
time, the instrument had 58 stops, 31 of which were
expressive. In 1957, the Müller factor carried out
maintenance work on the instrument. Under the
impetus of Gaston Litaize, the composition was
modified according to the neo-classical aesthetic then in
vogue. In 1993-1994, Bernard Dargassies renovated the
instrument. The work included the repair of the buffet,
the complete electrification of the instrument, the
restoration and replacement of part of the piping, and
the replacement of the console with a more ergonomic